I was browsing Instagram one day and came across a gorgeous cake by America’s Test Kitchen and learned that they published a new cake cookbook last year! I immediately ordered that book (of course), and then saw that they also published a new cookie cookbook, too! My mind was blown! It was difficult deciding which of these two books to begin using first, but I decided to start simple with Chocolate Sugar Cookies (since I’m such a huge fan of ATK’s Brown Sugar Cookies).
This recipe for Chocolate Sugar Cookies comes together very quickly and does not require any special ingredients. I really like America’s Test Kitchen’s recipes because anyone can follow them! I did, however, need to make some notes in the margins when prepping for this recipe.
It’s always tricky figuring out when chocolate cookies are done baking because they don’t change color. It’s a good idea to check to see if the edges have set about 2 or 3 minutes earlier than the suggested baking time since everyone’s ovens are different.
Chocolate Sugar Cookies Recipe
1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups plus 2 Tbsp (230g) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (64g) unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
14 Tbsp unsalted butter (divided 10Tbsp + 4 Tbsp)
1 3/4 cups (348g) packed dark brown sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg + 1 large yolk
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Spread granulated sugar in a shallow dish or bowl and set aside.
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder together in a bowl.
- Melt 10 Tbsp butter. In a large bowl, add melted butter to the remaining 4 Tbsp butter (it helps if the 4 Tbsp butter are cut into smaller pieces so they melt easier). Let butter cool to 90 to 95 degrees, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk brown sugar, vanilla extract, and salt into melted butter until no lumps remain, scraping down the bowl, as needed.
- Whisk in the egg and egg yolk until smooth.
- With a silicone spatula or spoon, stir in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Working with 2 tablespoons of dough at a time, roll into balls, then roll in granulated sugar to coat. Space dough balls evenly on prepared sheets.
- Gently press down the balls into 2-inch circles using the bottom of a clean, dry measuring glass. Evenly sprinkle the remaining granulated sugar over the cookies.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time, until cookies are slightly puffy and edges have begun to set (cookies will look raw between cracks and seem underdone), about 14-15 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through baking.
- Let cookies cool on sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack. Let cookies cool completely before serving.
Chocolate Sugar Cookies recipe is on page 40 of The Perfect Cookie from America’s Test Kitchen.
Warning: The account for needs to be reconnected.
Due to Instagram platform changes on March 31, 2020, this Instagram account needs to be reconnected to allow the feed to continue updating. Reconnect on plugin Settings page