This amazing recipe for Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies comes from America’s Test Kitchen. This recipe sets the bar high for all chocolate chip cookie recipes. There is a nice chew to these cookies and the flavor is incredible; there are hints of nuttiness from the brown butter and the chewy texture comes from the higher brown sugar-to-granulated sugar ratio.
I used Ghirardelli Chocolate Premium Baking Chips Bittersweet Chocolate (60% Cacao) for these chocolate chip cookies, and they worked out incredibly well. They melted into the cookie a little and didn’t make the cookies too sweet. These chocolate chips are also flatter and have a bigger diameter than other chips that give these cookies a fancy-cookie appearance.
There are a couple of steps has that sets this recipe apart from the rest. The first is browning the butter. Browning butter helps make cookies chewy and it also gives them a nutty flavor. Another perk of browning butter is that it makes your house smell like heaven.
The second interesting step is ensuring that the sugars are well-dissolved. Dissolving the sugars is done simply by whisking the sugars into the egg and brown butter mixture for 30 seconds, letting the mixture sit for 3 minutes, and repeating that process two more times; the mixture gets thick and glossy.
These Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies turned out looking and tasting like premium, classy, grade-A cookies. America’s Test Kitchen churned out another winning recipe!
PERFECT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- 1 3/4 cups (249g or 8 3/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 14 tablespoons [10 Tbsp (142g) + 4 Tbsp (57g)] unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (100g or 3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups (150g or 5 1/4 ounces) packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1 large egg yolk (room temperature)
- 1 1/4 cups (7 1/2 oz) semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375F degrees. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.
- Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, using heatproof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.
- Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips, giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.
- Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons (or use #24 cookie scoop). Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, 8 dough balls per sheet. (Smaller baking sheets can be used, but will require 3 batches.)
- Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.
Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe from America’s Test Kitchen.