Mini Oreo Pavlovas make a great summer snack or dessert. It feels like you’re eating an extremely light Oreo cookie that is topped with a strawberry. Strawberries and Oreos match surprisingly well! This recipe is very easy to make and comes together very quickly.
The only ingredients for the meringue are egg whites, granulated sugar, cornstarch, and Oreo cookies (without the cream).
The first step is to pulverize the Oreo cookies. I did this using a food processor, but I’m sure you could just put cookies in a freezer bag and crush them with a rolling pin, too. At this point, you can combine the sugar and cornstarch.
Next, start the meringue. Put the room temperature egg whites and Cream of Tartar in a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and mix on medium-low speed.
When the bubbles get small and tight, slowly start adding the sugar and cornstarch mixture.
Whip the cream until stiff peaks.
Add a spoonful of Oreo cookie crumbs into the meringue, but don’t mix them. Gently scoop out some of the meringue, picking up some of the crumbs, and create mounds on baking sheets lined with either parchment paper or silicone mats.
I used an ice cream scoop to spoon out the meringues.
I took a spoon and created divots in each meringue mound. Whipped cream will eventually fill these holes, so make sure they are not too shallow. After this step, place the meringues into the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes.
While the meringues bake, I washed the strawberries and prepared the whipped cream.
The whipped cream is a mixture of heavy whipping cream and malted milk.
Add the cold cream to a chilled mixing bowl. Add the malted milk and continue to mix until soft peaks.
After the meringues are done baking, cool to room temperature and add a spoonful of cream to each. Cut the strawberries in quarters and place them on top of the cream, in the meringues.
Only add the cream when you’re ready to serve the pavlovas. It’s best when the cream is still cool and the meringues are still a little crisp.
4 large egg whites, room temperature
190g granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar (or 1 tsp white vinegar)
1/3 bag (100g) of Oreos, ground to a fine crumb (plus extra for sprinkling)
250 ml heavy whipping cream
4 tbsp Malted Milk (powder)
1) Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with either parchment paper or silicone mats.
2) In a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites with the Cream of Tartar until frothy. When the bubbles get smaller and tighter, slowly add the sugar and cornstarch. Whisk until stiff peaks form.
3) Add a spoonful of the Oreo crumbs to the meringue and scoop mounds onto the prepared baking sheets. Add more Oreo crumbs to the meringue, as needed. You shouldn’t have to use all of the crumbs; you should have crumbs left for garnishing.
4) Using a spoon, create a divot in each meringue mound. Bake the meringues for 50-60 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature before assembling.
5) Using a whisk, or a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, mix the whipping cream with the malted milk until soft peaks form.
6) Spoon some of the whipped cream onto the meringues, and add a strawberry that was cut into fourths.