It’s a little bit of a late post, but I made this Fresh Strawberry Pie for pi day (3.14.15). I had 3 baskets of strawberries in my refrigerator that I had to re-purpose, so I figured this would be a great way to use them. The only baking required for this recipe is really the crust. For this, I used Dorie Greenspan’s Sweet Tart Crust recipe in Baking Chez Moi.
The first thing I did was bake [and slightly char] my crust. While that cooled, I prepared my strawberries. The recipe says to use 4 cups of strawberries, but I decided to add about 5 cups because 4 cups just didn’t seem like enough to me (and also because I love strawberries).
I just arranged the strawberries in the charred crust and started on the glaze. The glaze is just boiled water, sugar, corn starch, and strawberry Jell-O.
After the glaze was poured, I popped the strawberry pie into the refrigerator to let everything set. The result: a very tasty pie that I’ll definitely make again, hopefully with a crust that doesn’t have so much of a “French Bake!”
FRESH STRAWBERRY PIE RECIPE
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches) (I used Dorie Greenspan’s recipe for a Sweet Tart Crust)
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries (hulled and halved) [minimum, IMO]
- Fresh mint, optional
- Prepare 9″ pie crust. Cool to room temperature.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes or until slightly cooled.
- Meanwhile, arrange strawberries in the crust. Pour gelatin mixture over berries. Refrigerate until set. Garnish with mint if desired.
Yield: 6-8 servings.